Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Now Under New Management

That's me. I'm under new management. (No not at work...in LIFE!)

There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self...Aldous Huxley

After a week of eye-opening leisure time, I've started this week with all new resolutions I hope to keep long term. Starting with...
  1. Get to work earlier and leave earlier. This doesn't necessarily mean a shorter day, but hopefully it means that I'm able to enjoy summer evenings at home.
  2. Eat better. Try to be more conscious of my diet and eat healthier. I'd like to lose weight, but more importantly, I'd like to stop eating so much energy-draining junk.
  3. Swim every night. Too often the summer goes by and I've barely used the pool. I'm two for two on this so far this week and I can feel it in my back and shoulders. It's great to do some laps and then shower and wash my hair afterwards. Very relaxing for bed time.
  4. Be more efficient with time. This also feeds number one, and may cause a slow-down in blogging as it was my number one procrastination vice. But today, I'm eating a healthy fruit salad and half bran muffin for lunch and blogging too.
  5. Make time for friends. Enjoyed a visit with Amybow and Kiki last night. This happens too infrequently and is usually tied to a rushed lunch at the local cafeteria. Instead, Kiki and I left the office at 4PM (amazing!) and enjoyed a nice dinner and visit with Amybow and her charming little ones.
  6. Enjoy minor victories. Instead of getting overwhelmed by the large and expensive projects that need to happen at home, enjoy little accomplishments. On Sunday I shelf-lined two corner cupboards. Not ALL the cupboards, just those two. In the process I discarded all the old topless tupperware (doesn't that sound like a great blog name? or maybe a famous stripper name?) stacked my platters so they didn't fall out when cupboard was opened, and organized the odds and ends that accumulate there.

We'll see if I can stick to these in the coming days and weeks.

9 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I have found that an organized tupperware shelf lifts the spirits like nothing else. I'm not sure what that says about me.

KiKi said...

Eye opening leisure time.... mmmmm, I've got some of that coming up and I can't wait.

I'd be happy to "help" you clear out all of your energy draining junk food. I'll sacrifice my waistline, just this once, for you.

Anonymous said...

I am ALL over self-improvement resolutions. Keep us posted!

Mama Lou said...

I think you have reached a new plateau in self improvement!! I am glad you can look at things in need of doing, a little at a time. It is a good way to feel accomplishment.
Keep up the good work!

Jodi Anderson said...

I can really relate to this post. I have been making little changes here and there with many of the same goals in mind ... efficiency, simplicity, quality of life.

This post just makes me smile.

Nora said...

I'm convinced that if I had a pool I would swim constantly, but I probably wouldn't.

Mrs. G. said...

All good goals. I'll be checking in on your progress.

Ian Lidster said...

Good plans to live by. I should adopte more of them myself.

Stephanie said...

Amen sister, preach on. I'm adopting that list for myself, too!