Friday, November 16, 2007

A Few of My Favorite Things...

Thanks to Mrs. G. for starting "Favorite Things Friday".
I was going to build a long list...and then I decided to try a Top 10 pictorial. What I learned as I built this list was how easy it was to blur between my favorite things, and the blessings I have in my life. Narrowing it to 10 was so hard and I know someday, somewhere, there must be a part two. I also feel an "unfavorite thing" list deep in my dark soul. So read on....and stay tuned.

Number 1: Love of My Life - My Hubby - aka The Talented One.
This picture was taken at his gallery showing. He is a photographer and watercolorist. We are fed by his day job as an IT Manager. His heart and soul is fed by art.




Number 2: Family - in all their shapes, sizes, and various levels of (in)sanity.
This is just a quick sampling of our family. I'm sure there are many missing people. I'm sure I captured all who read this though, so that should help lessen the nasty phone calls.





Number 3: Boxes, Containers, Precious Things - general tchotchkes.
My hubby jokes with me that I've never seen a box or container I didn't need. I have filled our 1930's home with many containers and my excuse is 1930s homes HAVE NO STORAGE. But it IS just an excuse. Some of the other items are inherited antiques or things I've bought on antique hunts with my Mom. They all hold a memory. So they're like containers too. The lamp in the center is one of my all time favorite things. It lights a corner of our living room and shines out all my favorite colors - gold, green, red, lavender. It's truly a work of art. It contains JOY for me.




Number 4: My Crackberry. It's a Love-Hate Relationship.
O.K. The Crackberry. I resisted getting this for a LONG time. Then my "BIG" boss - who rarely gives direct feedback during reviews, added only one thing to my list of goals for the year. "Get Blackberry." Check. One step closer to that raise and promotion. Plus...yeah...I actually like having a handheld device that gives me my phone, my schedule, my email, my to-do list, my address book, my phone list, an alarm clock, a watch, AND I can read blogs on it too!


Number 5: Top Blog-Dog
Speaking of blogs...My FAVORITE Blogs have all been listed earlier in the week...but I have to give a special shout out to That Chick Over There and her blog. Because IT? is a must read EVERY DAY.





Number 6. What I Want, When I Want It.
I'm all about that statement. DVR is my friend because it gives me What I Want, When I Want It.




Number 7. Cue the Theme Music
Digital cable not only brought our home the DVR, but also 50 channels of music, organized by theme. I'm all into the "Adult Alternative"...although it sucks that the "Alternative" station is a little too radical for my 40-year old ass.



Number 8: The Written Word
Lest you think I'm all about the technology. One of my favorite things is still curling up with a book. An old-fashioned, words on paper, book. My house is filled with them in nooks and crannies. I give about 3 boxes a year to the library. But I hoard my favorites. Or give them to people I love. To me there is no greater gift than to receive a book that has touched someone, or to give one for the same reason.


Number 9: My friends.
(No time to build a full pictorial here...but these are some of the dearest...)
“Friendship improves happiness and abates misery, by the doubling of our joy and the dividing of our grief.”
—Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 B.C.), Roman statesman, orator, philosopher

Number 10: The Cape.
Cape Cod is our annual vacation. We could go somewhere different every year, but the truth is, our hearts are soothed by the cold water, the warm sand, and the unique nature of a New England shore.


Hope you enjoyed this post - it was fun putting it together. Tell me YOUR favorite things!


8 comments:

A's Mom said...

Great photo collages... why is it that Dad always ends up in all the photos? Seriously, how does he do that?!

That Chick Over There said...

*blushes*

Mrs. G. said...

What a great group of things to love. You husband is a cutie, your family is beautiful. And books, ah my sweet love, books. They set the decorating theme of our home. Thanks for joining in Wenderina.

Irish Goddess said...

I agree, I think I have many more favorites waiting to be listed. I covet your books!

Janet said...

oh your books! I totally agree, I love giving a book I loved to a friend.

KiKi said...

This post rocks... love the pics and learning so much more about you shows that we have a lot more in common than i realized. p.s. thanks for making me google "tchotchkes" because now i am brilliant and can roll with the big girls. but i am mad at you for making me curious enough to finally jump over to that chick over there's blog... because i split a rib laughing at her latest entry and my abs were already sore from doing crunches (this time without a milky bar).

Boogaloo Dude said...

So...your husband is a photographer too? This is getting weird.

Unknown said...

Loved the list. My Crackberry and I have a love/hate relationship, too. And DVR? What would I do without it? Seriously. And That Chick? My absolute MUST-read of the day, too.

And The Cape? I'm jealous that you're that close. I'm far, far away, but have really fond memories of being there as a youngster. It's a beautiful place.