Friday, December 17, 2010

Good Day, Bad Day....Typical Day

These days at work the MERGER is really chapping my butt. 

Every day as I drive to work, I wonder how much of the day will be good and how much will be bad, but I know for sure it won't be all of one or the other.  One of the VPs here relayed a comment from an outside consultant who was initially engaged (and subsequently dismissed) to help our two companies manage the integration.  The consultant talked about the Mood Elevator.  "You're up, You're down, You're on top of the world, You're down in the dumps....that's integration." 

So true.

Of course I can't get into specifics here in this public forum, so all I will say is.....


*#$*&()#&^%$$#^&^@%^&

As they draw in the funny pages when a character has less than complimentary things to say.

Today I had a great meeting that brought people together from both sides of the organization to dicsuss a joint marketing and communications endeavor.  Good ideas on both sides.  We learned things from one another.  Nothing was defensive or difficult.  It was a high point.

But at the exact same time, other conversations (via email, text messages, etc) were ongoing about a wholly different activity that felt like a nuclear bomb was going off at my desk.  Fully territorial.  Fully adversarial.  Turning me into the person throwing my hands up in the air and giving up on a reasonable response.

Good day....bad day....riding the elevator.

Sigh.

2 comments:

AmyBow said...

they should feel lucky they have someone like you to help rise above the fray.

Jane- 2 of 7 said...

Having been through the merger mill many a time (banking), I feel your pain. If you would like advice, the only advice I can offer you is to start each morning with the mantra: "I will get through this day and it will only be 9 hours of my life. Retirement will be my reward." I have found sticking a goal out there helps to let it flow downhill. Also, don't respond to emails for 24 hours. And try to find the funny.