Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Vacation Readiness

One of the anxieties I think I inherited from my mother is getting ready for vacation. I swear I can work myself up into a real lather just trying to remember everything I need to pack, washing and drying every piece of clothing I have (regardless of its usefulness on vacation), getting every work task complete or organized to pass along, finding some poor hapless victim to take care of my maniac cat, leaving notes for the cleaning lady, etc.

You would think I was heading off into the sunset for an epic round the world 1 year tour, vs. a 7-10 day vacation within 5 hours drive of home. Can I really not understand that there is not only a washing machine waiting for me at the rental house, but also a grocery store, drug store, wal-mart, etc.?

My mother always used to (and still does) book family vacations 6-12 months in advance, purchases vacation insurance, and insists on paper airline tickets. She has installed a multi-layered safety system at home to ensure there will not be any flooding in her absence. Granted, after experiencing some of the potential basement/family room floods I get the reason.

So, is it any wonder that in the weeks leading up to vacation my sleep decreases, my headaches increase, my nausea and acid reflux kicks in, and vacation seems more than it is worth? Yet year after year, I pursue the elusive rejuvenatory effects people tell me you should get from a vacation. What is that definition of insanity?

No comments: