Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Apparently, I'm Asymmetrical

...but it's all good.

After my very first mammogram - I got the dreaded letter in the mail, "We've detected an irregularity and recommend that you make an appointment for futher imaging."

Followed by a call from my Dr. (who has NEVER called me) to tell me that I have an asymmetrical breast.

????

Aren't they supposed to be asymmetrical?

Apparently, this is actually a medical term. I immediately jumped on Google and found this, and this, and this. And ok, the words "Breast Cancer" came up an awful lot and I started to get a little freaked out. However, my doctor and the technician assured me that 90% of the time, these tests find that there is nothing of concern. So I, in turn, reassured hubby.

And truly, after about 24 hours, I just decided to deal with it. I was even able to schedule it on the same day as a dentist appointment and then justify taking an entire day off work so I could visit all my medical/dental people and still get in some shopping and a haircut.

This is how I operate - I have HUGE anxieties over MINOR things (like poster frames for my office) and I totally go with the flow on the big things. Like when hubby quit his job and was out of work for six months. I would NEVER have thought I would be so cool for six months waiting for a paycheck to come in. But I was. Really. Just ask him. I WAS! Almost immediately after he got his new better paying job? I started to stress about bills.

What can I tell you. I need help.

So anyway, after a 2nd (more stringent...and by this I mean SQUUUEEEZZZEEEE) mammogram (which still didn't really cause that much pain, let me say) and then a focal ultrasound, I've learned I'm one of the 90%. What they were seeing was a lymph node. A perfectly healthy and normal lymph node.

The latest letter to come in the mail had a boring little message, "We are pleased to inform you that all results are normal."

Please pause to thank whatever God you believe in on my behalf.

And let me just say again, if you are 40+ and are not getting a regular mammogram, please go. How much would I have been kicking myself if it turned out to be something after I postponed my first mammogram for a year?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! I had to have a lumpectomy-type biopsy after my FIRST mammogram and it was the same thing...a lymph node! This happens a lot apparently.

I had to undergo general anesthesia and get my breast cut open for them to find that out! UGH!

I'm glad you were able to find out it was a lymph node without the invasiveness of the biopsy.

Mrs. G. said...

I had the same thing happen to me during my first mammogram in January. And that second, third and fourth squeeze was a bitch. I actually had little bruises on my breasts. But a normal diagnosis is worth a little pain. Glad you're healthy.

Stephanie said...

I'm glad to hear that it all turned out well. I'm sure you would have handled it with grace no matter what, though. I need to take some cues from you. I stress everything... everything! :)

Wenderina said...

Apparently it is quite common. The better the imaging technology gets, the more likely they are to see...something...

Mrs. G- you are so right. The "pain" is worth the good diagnosis.

Lyndaspiz - sorry you had to go deeper, but glad the results were good.

Stephanie - give me a break. If I had to deal with ED I would run screaming for the hills on a daily basis. You have more grace than I could ever hope to achieve.

KiKi said...

Yup, it happens a lot. Happened to me twice.

If men had to go thru this annually, the technology and entire process would be so much better. Let's just say this would never be accepted as a way of detecting testicular cancer.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I've had mammograms since I was 40 and had the same experience this year. They were nice enough to call me immediately to let me know things were okay.

I'm glad it worked out okay.

Mister-M said...

Asymmetrical is just another name for "variety." ;-)

A's Mom said...

That must be a family thing to not worry about the big things. I've always said it's all about the little things in life.

Glad everything was normal with your tests!

Ian Lidster said...

I am so glad your tests turned out OK. Asymetrical -- more common than most might think, and charming as hell in its own way.

meme said...

hi i have almost the same story. Maybe someone can give me some answers. I was having pain in my left breast. i went for a mammogram and ultrasound. the ultrasound found nothing but the mammogram found something asymmetrical. so i had another mammogram.now i have to go for an mri becasue of where the pain is (which i think is from my two year old daughter kicked me) so he wantsto make sure its nothing. what doyou think?