I'm a trailblazer.
For a bunch of high maintenance crazy people.
Honestly, do all managers feel like this?
When I had my previous group (all of two people) I never felt this way...I never complained about them...I never worried about their performance...giving reviews was a joy!
This week is self-evaluation week for the majority of my team. This past month has probably been the most active with complaints about their work, well, ever. I have a notebook full of my documentation of calls, emails, conversations about problems. Then, today? four of them called me to a meeting to discuss a fifth. They were united in their frustration. Some of the things they said about this person? were crazy scary.
1. We feel uncomfortable approaching her...she is always negative and harsh.
2. She makes childlike complaints and her craftiness puts us on the defense.
3. She puts us in a non-trusting position.
4. We don't agree with how she represents us as a group.
5. She always uses defensive tones, attacking questions, and harsh statements that make us feel we need to defend our positions and roles.
6. She actively eavesdrops but does not join discussions.
And the topper?
7. We feel she WANTS the group and the individuals in it to fail.
All I want to do is hide under the covers and not come out. But next week I have to work them through their self evaluation process, then provide my ratings and salary reviews. THEN, I need to tackle the totally separate question of what to do with the "fifth wheel" before an out and out revolt occurs.
Can I give the plaque back and stop guiding the way?