Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Do you think it's on purpose?

In the continuing balance to be positive, I returned to MERGER land this week and found most of my colleagues in a funk.  This integration is really taking all the spunk out of them...that and weekly snowstorms which don't help at all. 

Today, after 18 months of integration activities, and the last 8 weeks of attempting to do things the MERGER company way, we received a tool...an "Ad Bible".  We also learned there are libraries of pre-purchased stock images available as well.  One of my staff turned to me as she handed me the Ad Bible and said, "Do you think it's on purpose...the fact that they haven't been sharing these things with us?"

I'm not sure how to answer that.  Sometimes the competitive we/they is tangible, and sometimes it seems it is more oversight as we resort to the same tried and true methods we've used individually in the past.  I wanted to take the high road, being positive, and say, "No way....", but the highest I could get was, "I simply don't know, so let's give them the benefit of the doubt". 

What do you think?  If you've been through a MERGER before...have you withheld, or been withheld from?  Would you consider that a smart thing to do in a transition period? or is it smarter to be a team player?  Our culture prior to the MERGER was as disfunctional as any others, things were done wrong, things were missed, we never claimed to be perfect.  But one thing we have always been is collaborative.... transparent... and interested in the best solution - regardless of who put the idea forward.

I hope that will be one of the best practices that survives.

3 comments:

AmyBow said...

no, i think they are just stupid.

Chelle said...

that is a slippery slope I would just act as if it was not on purpose and move forward, my company has gone through new ownership and it is so hard to shake the "That's the way we always used to do it" state of mind, it keeps you stuck in a world that no longer exists.

Kate Hanley said...

When I first read your title I thought, absolutely, whatever it is, it's on purpose. But even if that is the case, I totally agree with being a team player. If the company sees that you guys are gung ho team players won't it make it easier for you in the long run? No matter how much they screw up?