Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Instant Brady Bunch

So earlier today I was thinking about our choice not to have any children. My hubby and I are proud DINKS (dual income no kids) and it's worked for us thus far. Funny thing is, if some huge national or global disaster strikes, we could become the instant Brady Bunch. We are listed on wills as the legal or financial guardian for no less than 6 kids!

Seriously. Who really thinks we are well-suited for this assignment? We work like maniacs. When we aren't working, we are pretty much hermits - hiding in our house away from the "mean-to-me's" out there in the world.

Most times (can you believe not every time?) we were asked in advance. And I gotta tell you, we thought about it pretty damn hard before saying o.k.

When you plan to be a parent - you pretty much plan (I hope you realize) to turn your life upside down and to never never never be the number one priority in your life again. If you didn't - SURPRISE! And shame on you. Of course your child should be the priority.

Of course. Of course. Of course.

So, when you plan to offer yourselves up as guardians/potential parents - the same deal applies.

Of course. Of course. Of course.

When one of my best friends in the world asked us to consider this job, she made sure to tell us it comes with $$$$. Now while we may be a couple of greedy dinks, this was not necessary, until I realized what she was really telling me was - you (or hubby) can quit your job to do this. In fact, what she was REALLY telling me was - you (or hubby) SHOULD quit your job to do this.

Of course. Of course. Of course.

Then she said, "I know you've made a choice not to be a parent. How do you really feel about this?" I took one look at the pictures of her kids I have plastering my house, thought about the way I love those kids like they were my blood, and knew it was a different choice.


You see, choosing not to have a child is one thing.
Choosing not to love a child is another.


Of course. Of course. Of course.

2 comments:

Mrs. Booms said...

This makes me smile. We pile-drove my sister with this. She gets the kids, the house, the money. She gladly took it. Will my sister ever have kids of her own? I don't know. But she adores mine and thank goodness she said yes!!

Those kids are beautiful. And no, once you have kids you rarely have room to be selfish ever again. And as my husband said this weekend when his friend was complaining about his "responsibilities"... "One look at my son and I know it's worth it." :)

Mrs. Booms said...

I gave you an award!!!

Check out my blog with the 800 posts on it today to find out why.