Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Marian...Librarian

For the past week I've been battling with the college on-line library research system trying desperately to access the reams of required reading for my first class this semester. I was challenged at every turn, and (having already been doubtful of my ability to continue on this quest for higher learning) I was beginning to get VERY discouraged. In fact, I was beginning to really feel my age.

School has changed SO MUCH. No one has heard of a card catalog system. No one has heard of microfilm/microfiche. There are umpteen databases of reference systems and each one has its own login and password that you have to remember. I'm feeling ancient. I need to either go back in time to a simpler world (which was actually harder, but I knew how to do it!) or jump forward to the Star Trek era so I can simply say, "Computer: show me all of the case studies printed in the 2007 Harvard Business Review pertaining to the Mattel Toy-China fiasco." And have them all appear on a wall screen for easy viewing.

Why oh why aren't we there yet?

Small Aside: When I was a kid I totally expected to be in a hovercraft by the time I was 40. I mean at 40 I would be ancient right? By that time, they should have figured out hovercrafts and laser guns and peace in the Middle East, right? What's up with the slow pokeness of life?

Anyway, I finally gave up trying to figure out the research on my own and used the 24/7 librarian chat feature. Ok, this is one technology that is pretty cool. Someone answered me immediately. She asked what I needed. I told her - AND I told her I didn't just want her to find it and send it to me, I wanted her to TEACH me how to get it myself. Cuz I? am just an independent woman like that.

I fell in love with this woman. Not because she helped me, but because she couldn't find them either!!!! She kept apologizing and with every failure on her part to get the files I was THRILLED! I'm sure she thought I was crazy. And I can live with that. What I can't live with is stupidity. And it turns out:

I AM NOT AN IDIOT!!!!

What a freakin' relief.

Today, AFTER I had figured out at midnight last night that I was just going to purchase the damn articles from the Harvard site I found 2 weeks ago I got the following email:


This email is for students who are registering for the above course. The ONLY way you will be able to obtain the case studies that are listed on the syllabus is to go to the Harvard Business School Publishing Website. Case studies NEED to be purchased. You can pay HBS directly and download the readings. They are not available through our library system.

Signed

Dean of Business School
a.k.a. MUCH TOO LATE TO HELP BUT THANKS ANYWAY!

Um. Yeah.

Is anyone else thinking, "These are the people who are supposed to be teaching me Strategic Communications??"

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I laughed so hard I almost fell out of my chair.

"These are the people who are supposed to be teaching me Strategic Communications??"

It's so true. Don't you wonder why you're not already the Queen of the World? I do. It's a miracle that most folks can get out of bed and make it to work every day. I should be rising through the ranks like a rocket-propelled grenade. I can get out of bed AND tie my own shoes! :)

Hang in there on the school thing. Once you get the hang of it all you'll do great! My Hubby recently went back to school, too, and faced very similar challenges.

Unknown said...

P.S. I'm so totally adopting "slow pokeness".

Anonymous said...

Hovercrafts!!! Yes!!! And jet packs!!! Where are they??? I feel gypped!