Thursday, November 1, 2007

Senior Moment

Okay - so this morning I had all these great ideas of what to post today on this first day of NaBloPoMo (another fun acronym for me!) and as of this moment, this SENIOR moment, I can't think of one of them. Seriously. I had some MAD ideas about controversial things to say, intelligent thought-provoking, comment-stimulating, "you so wish you were me" ideas.

Doesn't that drive you completely I-N-S-A-N-E???? I hate when my memory totally flakes out on me that way. More of that damn Diet Pepsi effect, I'm sure.

I could talk about how in less than the 24 hours between meeting with my financial person and committing to the mortgage refi the rates went up. Not a lot, but still... Can someone explain to me (although my eyes will probably glaze over in about 30 seconds flat if you try) why when the fed DROPS interest rates, my mortgage rate goes up??? WHAT. THE. HELL.

I could talk about how I managed to lock myself out of the house this morning and it took me about 5 minutes of aiming THE WRONG KEYLESS LOCK "THINGY" at my car before it occurred to me I had the spare car set in my hand instead of my truck keys and the house key. Seriously. What kind of moron am I? Then, I realized...I left my blackberry/cell in my room. No way to call anyone for help. Luckily, I'm a moron who doesn't lock her house very well. I quickly identified the open sliding door into the patio and got back in to get cell and keys. Duh.

I could talk about how it took me 25 minutes to get to work yesterday and how I left 10 minutes earlier today and got to work an hour later. Sigh.

I could talk about my adorable great-nephew and ooh and aah over his Halloween costume (He's Roo from Winnie the Pooh...isn't that the cutest???).

I could talk about how annoying it is to be sitting at work when the cleaning crew comes through and having to listen to the vacuum cleaner while you are trying to complete your work (or do your blog)...whatever...

I could talk about how totally unbelievable it is that it is NOVEMBER 2.0.0.7!!!! Where has the year gone? I haven't even started my christmas shopping list, much less the actual shopping.

I could talk about how this weekend I complete my first semester of graduate studies (ok so it's only 1 class, but semester sounds more impressive) and I only have 12 more to go! Woo hoo. At my current rate of study (and considering I want summer semesters off) I will be done in like 8 years.

I could talk about the "helpless" desk here at work who completely cracked me and my boss up with their TOTAL ineptitude tonight. EUREKA - THAT is what I'll talk about (ignore my previous ramblings, although you can still think my nephew is TOO CUTE!)

SCENE 1, Act 1: Cheap Labor - You Get What You Pay For.

Boss on speaker phone, Me at her side (aka US): Hello. We need some help with our FTP site. I have uploaded some large files and our partner in Australia is having difficulty accessing it.

HELPLESS: {silence}

US: Hello??

HELPLESS: um, yeah.

US: Do you know how to work with our FTP site?

HELPLESS: um...no, but I'm not the only one here.

US: Okay, so we're going to email you the link and maybe you and whoever else is there can check it out okay?

HELPLESS: sure.

Me: Are you seeing the page not found message?

HELPLESS: Um..I'm not actually AT my computer.

Boss: Okay, we'll wait.

HELPLESS: I'm not AT my computer.

Boss: Yeah, I got that. I figured you could go to your computer now and I'll wait.

HELPLESS: Um....

Boss{beginning to get irritated, I'm starting to smother giggles}: This IS the HELPDESK right?

HELPLESS: Yeah.

Boss: So...???

HELPLESS: Well, you see, when I'm here at night I share a desk with HELPLESS 2 and it is across the room and I can't reach the keyboard and be on the phone at the same time, so...blah blah blah blah blah blah

Boss (totally exasperated, I'm now bent over snorting with laughter): Okay, I really don't need to know anymore. I've sent you the link can you get someone who IS at a computer and can reach a phone to help me?

HELPLESS: Um...yeah. {hold music}

Meanwhile...back at the ranch...boss and I figure out the link is wrong, send the email back to Australia and get a response back from them {hold music still playing}... response from Australia - have access - strange it didn't ask for a login or password. (That's just scary - talk about a security gap)

We hang up and call back, since hold music has continued entire time.

HELPLESS 2: Helpdesk.

Boss: Nevermind - we figured it out.

HELPLESS 1 {In background}: - oh...I just tried to get to site and it was down.

Boss: No, actually, we just had the wrong link address.

HELPLESS 1: Oh...um...yeah...that could have been it too.

Boss {crossing her eyes at me, me with tears on my cheeks from suppressed giggles}: Well...you may want to think about getting a cordless phone or making sure you're at a computer when people call. Just a thought.

{BOSS HANGS UP}

Boss {Still exasperated, but starting to giggle to}: Okay is it just me? Like - do we NOT have the technology to handle this? {giggle} Press speaker phone and go to computer. {laugh} Bring laptop to phone. {full out belly laugh} Offer to call us back from phone BY a computer. Holy Cow. {approaching hysterical giggles} I mean, really, is it me?? {wipes tears away} I'm so DONE tonight. I'm outta here.

Have I told you how much I LOVE my boss? She's the bomb.

So - not sure if this was the stimulating post I had in my mind this morning. But it filled up some space...and I was amused, even if you weren't. And in MY world, that's all that matters.

4 comments:

AmyBow said...

at least they didn't tell you to restart your computer. so painful.

Haley said...

nice pic of the grand-nephew! too cute!

things are getting better. take it one day at a time right?

And, let me know what you think of Across the Universe! It's amazing!

Mrs. Booms said...

too funny... We don't have a helpdesk here, but if we did, it would be painful... seriously.

That Chick Over There said...

So I can blame Diet Pepsi for being a total flake? Good news!