Tuesday, April 8, 2008

There Should Be A Rule

There should be a rule that tear-jerker movies cannot be shown on flights. I mean really, don't we end up looking haggard enough when we arrive after a 5 hour flight without having mascara stains and puffy red eyes?

Tear-jerker movies are meant for girls' nights, pajamas, full Kleenex box at the elbow, a pint of Ben & Jerry's and a large spoon. Oh and chocolate. Lots of chocolate.

I do love a good tear-jerker though.

Today's tear-jerker was "P.S. I Love You." I had no idea what this film was about. I thought it was a romantic comedy. But no. They fool you into that with the first scene, and then they knock you down good.

If you haven’t seen this movie, you may want to stop here.
Cuz I'm gonna need a few moments to digest and share this.

The movie is about a young married couple and you think you're gonna watch them going through some hard times, and be a boy gets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl back kind of flick. But after the first scene, and then the opening credits, you are suddenly at an Irish wake.

Shit.

I know I'm in for it now.

And just when you think that watching this poor 29-year old widow disintegrate into an agoraphobic basket case who sings along with Judy Garland movies is too much, suddenly it's her 30th birthday. And a cake is specially delivered. With a cassette tape. From her dead husband.

Shit.

I'm really in for it now.

The tape announces that she will receive a series of letters that will be arriving in various surprising ways and times and each will have instructions for her to follow. These letters take her from a birthday party night out, to shopping for the perfect outfit, to singing a love song in a karaoke bar, to a travel agency, to Ireland, and back again. Every letter ends with P.S. I Love You. Every letter MAKES ME CRY. Not discrete little corner of the eye tears, mind you, but streaming, eye squinting, mascara running tears.

Shit.

I'm so in it now.
Which is obvious to the guy sitting to my left.
And the 15 people standing in the aisle waiting for the bathroom.

The final letter comes when she has accomplished all of her tasks, and you think she is finding her way. And she is. But suddenly, she realizes she is all alone. For the first time, she 's alone. She has a meltdown and goes to her mom for comfort. Then... her mother gives her the last letter.

Since I've spoiled most of the plot, I won't spoil the surprise ending (and no, of course he doesn't come back from the dead).

Suffice it to say, as always, life goes on.

Shit.

I have to go recover my dignity now.

7 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

This movie is so on my list!

AmyBow said...

I read the book.

I actually started reading it in the bookstore and had to buy it when I realized I wanted to finish it despite it being sort of fluffy and that I didn't want to be seen crying in Barnes and Noble.

Mister-M said...

I thoroughly enjoyed the film... also, remember in lieu of a box of kleenex... your best man's shirt sleeve makes a fine replacement!

A's Mom said...

Sounds like I'll have to rent this movie... but I'll make sure to watch it by myself during the day. You know how guys are about making fun of you crying at a movie.

Ian Lidster said...

As a male I am mortified when I get misty. 'Ghost' does that for me. It's such a sappy story in so many ways, but when the Righteous Bros. cut in at the end and he departs, then I'm toast. I do empathize.

Boogaloo Dude said...

Hey, they had that on the plane when I was travelling last week too. I didn't watch it though because I heard it was crap.

I did have a similar experience a few years ago when they showed Finding Neverland.

Liz said...

Oh how I loved this movie, despite watching it thru puffy eyes and annoying nose blows.