Thursday, April 17, 2008

"Guiding the Way for Others"....

I received my plaque this week for my Avid Advocate award. Engraved on it is the phrase "Guiding the Way for Others"...


Yay.


I'm a trailblazer.


For a bunch of high maintenance crazy people.


Honestly, do all managers feel like this?


When I had my previous group (all of two people) I never felt this way...I never complained about them...I never worried about their performance...giving reviews was a joy!


This week is self-evaluation week for the majority of my team. This past month has probably been the most active with complaints about their work, well, ever. I have a notebook full of my documentation of calls, emails, conversations about problems. Then, today? four of them called me to a meeting to discuss a fifth. They were united in their frustration. Some of the things they said about this person? were crazy scary.

1. We feel uncomfortable approaching her...she is always negative and harsh.

2. She makes childlike complaints and her craftiness puts us on the defense.

3. She puts us in a non-trusting position.

4. We don't agree with how she represents us as a group.

5. She always uses defensive tones, attacking questions, and harsh statements that make us feel we need to defend our positions and roles.

6. She actively eavesdrops but does not join discussions.

And the topper?

7. We feel she WANTS the group and the individuals in it to fail.

Yay.

All I want to do is hide under the covers and not come out. But next week I have to work them through their self evaluation process, then provide my ratings and salary reviews. THEN, I need to tackle the totally separate question of what to do with the "fifth wheel" before an out and out revolt occurs.

Can I give the plaque back and stop guiding the way?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you were given the award because you richly deserve it. And I'm equally as certain that you will come up with a solution for the fifth-wheel situation that will be best for all involved.

That being said, it sucks to be put in that kind of position, you'll be in my thoughts and prayers as you figure out how to handle all that is on your plate in this next few days/weeks.

You'll come through this shining like a new penny!!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Why do I want to become a school principal one day?

KiKi said...

You said it on my blog: you don't get more than you can bear. When you first got all those people reporting to you, my first thought was: OH MY! And truth be told, I felt a little sorry for you. But when I gave it some thought, I realized, who better than you? I've come to know you well enough to see that while this is very stressful, and painful, and just plain annoying as hell - you CAN handle it... and MUCH BETTER than anyone else.

Don't get me wrong, I realize it's gotta SUCKS to be put in this position over and over again. And by no means would I ever want to walk in your shoes regarding this... but only because I'm not qualified for it and you are. I sincerely believe those people need you and are benefiting from having you not only as their manager, but in their life period. Regardless of the outcome for any of them.

You exemplify the award you received - and I know I'm not supposed to tell, but almost your entire team nominated you for that award (and so did other people in the firm who know you to be as great as you are). Because you are a trailblazer.

I know, I know. I can hear you sighing.......

(Whaddaya mean,shut up Kiki?!)

Anyway, no - you can't give the plaque back. And yes, you must continue guiding the way. If you want to stop, you have to stop being so darn amazing first. Otherwise, suck it up and pop tall! ;P

Boogaloo Dude said...

Oh.

See, this is why I'm about to cash in my career in management and sit on the couch and eat bonbons full time.

Manager Mom said...

Hmmm.. with the traits you described, if this fifth employee in question worked at MY company, she would probably be CEO by now...