Thursday, September 25, 2008

Officer, I Saw the Whole Thing

Yesterday at about 7:45AM I was standing in my bedroom and heard the strangest noise - it was like a long twanging rubber band. The sound went on and on and got more and more ominous and I realized it was coming from the wires attached to my house from the pole across the street. I looked out the window and saw some brainiac in a yellow moving truck had caught the wires on the top of the truck and was still driving, pulling two poles into a leaning position and straining the wires attached to my house!

I yelled out the window - but there was no way he could hear me over the truck engine and just when I thought the truck might be flung backward like Wiley Coyote launching off a cliff, the wires finally let go and the truck kept right on trucking!

Even though my lights remained on, I ran downstairs and grabbed my phone book to report the incident to the utility company and after finally getting through all the steps you need to go through to get to a real person and report this, I noticed a police car had pulled up across the street. I walked out and realized there were wires down everywhere. The wires had not juts come unhooked, they had been pulled until they snapped!

After taking my name and number the police officer told me that it was actually the phone wires that had been pulled down (I figured since they weren't sparking everywhere) and asked if I would be able to identfy the yellow truck if I saw it again. Yeah, that wasn't likely. It was a yellow moving truck - there have to be hundreds of them.

When I came home from work, there were 7 trucks with flashing lights still outside my house working on the mess - and still there when I went to bed - and still there when I woke up at 3AM.

I don't have an elegant end or morale to this story - feel free to suggest one - I just thought it was an amazing thing to see this idiot destroy the local phone operations without a second glance.

2 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Idiocy is alive and well in the U.S.A.

Stephanie said...

Isn't it amazing that people can do something like that and just drive on like nothing happened? Surely the guy had to know that had happened... at least that something had happened...

Oh, maybe not. Idiocy is, indeed, alive and well in the USA. Maybe his iPod was turned up too loud. :)