Friday, January 23, 2009

Happy Birthday Dad

Today is my Dad's birthday. He would have been 83. I miss him every day, but the 6 years since he passed have gone by in a blur, and the new normal has set in. I've been wondering lately what he would think of the world today and trying to fill in his side of the conversation.



Dad, what do you think about this economy?
Save your money.


















Dad, isn't this just amazing, we have elected and sworn in the first black president of the United States.
Those boys have come a long way since I was a kid.














Dad, they just can't seem to find peace in the Middle East.
Wipe it off the face of the earth and forget about it.


Dad, I'm worried about keeping my job. No company can guarantee work anymore.
Work hard. Do your part. You can't do anything else...oh..except save your money.





Dad, what do you think of what's on tv these days?
Boob tube. Too much filth...too much blood and guts...I prefer a good Tom Clancy novel.


Dad, I just turned 42 and this is your 83rd birthday...how has this happened?
Beats the hell out of me kiddo.


Dad, I love you and miss you. I'm sorry if work and life kept me away from you too much in the later years of your life.
I love and miss you too and we all need to live our own lives. I'm proud of you and that hubby of yours. You did ok.

8 comments:

Mrs. G. said...

Your dad had good advice!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Too bad more people haven't listened to his advice.

Jodi Anderson said...

Aww. This tugs at my heart strings. What a beautiful post.

My dad died when I was six, so it's hard for me to fill in what he might say, but I like to think that I'm a lot like him, so I think that we'd have about the same opinion on such questions.

xoxo

Kate Hanley said...

My dad passed away 8 years ago and I still hear his voice sometimes. What a great post.

Pat said...

I read this through tears.
He was wise to know you needed to become the wonderful woman you are, and you are wise to know he knew.
Hugs!

A's Mom said...

"Wipe it off the face of the earth and forget about it."
Love this!

I miss Papa every day too. Wish he could be here to meet LMA.

Jude said...

You said it! I could hear Dad saying it as I read the words....but you forgot, when you said your 42...Dad would have responded, "how could that be possible with a father only 39!" I can hear him laugh at that every year...there are days when I can't stop thinking of him and other days when I need him more than ever. Thank you for writing such beautiful thought about a fabulous man! I miss him, too.

Stephanie said...

What a lovely tribute to the man you knew. I'm sure it's hard to be without him, but it sounds like he left his words and his heart right with you.