Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Now I feel like a schmuck

So today VP called me to say, "Congratulations, you have been promoted!"  And now I feel like a schmuck for my (de)motivation comments of yesterday.

Here's how the call went:

{RING}

"Hey W, this is VP, how about that call with RP yesterday --- yada yada yada --- Oh, I just wanted you to know that I was called in for the corporate review committee yesterday and you've been promoted to a senior associate."

"Holy Cats, VP, really?  I never expected that this year of all years."

"W, you always underestimate...."

{at this point as he paused to talk to his taxi driver and I'm thinking he is going to chastise me for not having enough self-confidence...he's going to finish that statement with "....your value!" ...and then he resumes....

"W, you always underestimate MY ABILITY TO GET THINGS DONE."

And so, the universe righted itself with VP at the center as usual. You gotta laugh right?

But that's ok....he got it done...and I got it done.  I don't know yet what this means - role, compensation, car?!?!?! (please, oh please, a car....to replace my 160,000 mile Ford) but I do know that it means that all that work was noticed. 

So I'm motivated, but feeling a little guilty as I know the rewards are few and far between, and I'd enjoy this much more if I could ensure my team all got the recognition they deserve as well.

It's all very hush-hush until the formal announcements of all management promotions next week, but it's okay that I share it with the internet right?  I mean all 6 of you who follow won't tell right?

And tonight I'll dream of a new car...maybe.

8 comments:

Pat said...

Congratulations! You deserve it. I'm so happy for you.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Wenderina! It IS nice when hard work is noticed and rewarded in a concrete way - and hopefully monetary, if not vehicular! (And I guess this means ever more renovations, too! LOL)

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Go you!

The Iselin Times said...

I love a happy ending!

Michelle said...

congrats!I knew you would amount to something when we were hanging out on the pull-out couch!

Jude said...

You go Sis!! you so deserve it! you work very hard and too long of hours! Maybe you'll have to make a trip to SD soon!!

A's Mom said...

Yeah! I'll be crossing my fingers for you for a new car as well! You definitely deserve this!

KiKi said...

Once again, you "misunderestimated" VP.

YAAAAAAAAY! (FIST PUMP!) I just knew it was going to happen! Well deserved and long overdue. I'm sitting here with the biggest grin on my face...

In the words of Doc, "Proud to know you." xoxo