Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Original "Scatter"

As the Vacation Readiness Momentum continues, I found myself trying to keep track of all the little things at work and home that needed to be remembered. After AmyBow commented on my posting that I was much more together than I gave myself credit for, I tried to re-evaluate. Truth is...I'm just really good at appearing together. Maybe that is just as important?

My father used to be called "Scatter" at work. My mother and I learned this when some of his work colleagues got together for an event. Afterward we asked him, "Why Scatter?"..."Well," he said importantly, "It's because I get annoyed with the guys just standing around shooting the breeze at work. When I see a gang of them wasting time I come up and say - Hey you guys - Scatter!"

Years later, one of his work colleagues told us it was actually because he was a bit of an infamous scatterbrain.

I knew my Dad pretty well, and I always thought he was pretty together...so I tended to think his first story was the right one...but then again, maybe I've inherited my ability to just SEEM together from him. Miss you Dad.

1 comment:

AmyBow said...

Life is all about appearances. Even if not in the traditional airbrushed, plucked and tucked into place sense. I think the number of people that actually know what they are doing are far out-numbered by the rest of us.