Friday, August 24, 2007

A Starbucks Moment

On Fridays I promise myself that if all the stars align I can stop at Starbucks for what is loosely defined as "coffee" (more like a coffee milkshake). The final hurdle occurs as I coast up to the corner light...if it is red, but my car aligns with the plaza entrance I can do it...if green (or I'm not aligned) I have to keep on moving- Starbucks is not in the cards for me today.

Today was one of those days when everything worked perfectly and I sailed on into the parking lot and through the doors enjoying my little gift to myself. Once inside I placed my order - mocha light frappacino grande please - and awaited the reward. As I stood to the side of the service counter I glanced around and saw the typical single in the corner reading the paper, a couple of suited businessmen shuffling papers and balancing a laptop, and then my eye was caught by an older couple at the back table. They each had a coffee and a muffin, were dressed in casual summer wear, and had the chairs pulled snugly together. Between them on the table, amongst the coffee paraphernalia, was a newspaper neatly folded to the daily crossword.

As I watched, I noticed their puzzle rhythm was like observing a little dance. Obviously a long-practiced ritual, they shared a pencil, alternated reading the clues and writing in answers, and were content within their own little world. I'm not even sure I can adequately relate the charm in this scene, but it touched something inside of me. A desire for some peaceful moments - shared with someone I love - two minds working as one and a lovely summer day with all its possibilities stretched out before me.

I left the Starbucks with a smile and thought tonight, when my husband and I finish the rapid-fire packing for our vacation, I'll share this scene with him. Thankfully I know he will grin and enjoy the scene as I paint it and hope as I do that we will share some similar moments in the next couple of weeks...and in the years to come.

No comments: