But as a conversation starter, it offers an interesting question, don't you think? Just like those party games where people are asked their five favorite books, movies, songs, etc. It always gets the room buzzing with agreement or debate. Do I have a personal motto? I began thinking of those favorite sayings and those quotable quotes that you retain...here are a few that came to mind.
- Ellen Degeneris singing "Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming" - I swear this pops into my head when my frustration is at an all time high and patience is at an all time low.
- "That guy could screw up a one car freight train" Isn't that an awesome visual? I can just see some idiot actually screwing up that simple task. This was one of my dad's favorites.
- "You think education is expensive? Try ignorance!" I saw that on a bumper sticker once and it totally stuck with me. Maybe because I'm the daughter of a teacher, maybe because I think education is THE silver bullet when it comes to poverty and prejudice.
- "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful and committed people can change the world. Do you know why?...Because it's the only thing that ever has." West Wing Quote that lives in my brain forever. A reminder to keep trying to change things even when it feels like you are banging your head on a brick wall.
- "Everybody thinks of changing humanity and nobody thinks of changing himself." This Tolstoy quote is a great reminder to NOT bang your head against that wall until you've faced what changes must be made inside you.