Sunday, May 2, 2010

A Wonderful Sunday...with One Exception

Well, besides my domestic failure turning into a culinary success, the day was full of high notes.  Good times at our friends' house - hanging by the pool, shooting the sh*t, marveling at the growing teenagers with the deep voices, and just generally doing a lot of laughing, munching, sunning, and funning.  At a certain point our plan for LINNER turned into a full out plan for DINNER as we had munched our way through so many snacks upon first arrival no one wanted the cold cuts and salads that were planned for our meal.

So we took a late afternoon break to go see one of the kids take her riding lesson.

This, sadly, was my best photo of the afternoon due to the inability to use flash in the dark barn (don't want to spook the horses).  I have to say I was quite impressed with Chloe's technique especially given the tough beast she was riding who would have much preferred to be left lounging in his stall on this very hot and humid afternoon rather than being put through the paces of an English riding lesson. 

We strolled through the barn visiting the other horses, seeing some incredibly beautiful animals - one of which looked like it had a totally fake coat due to the impossible silvery whiteness of his hair against the large black patches.  I should have taken a picture, but he wouldn't turn to face us and I just felt a picture of a horse's ass was just too much for my little blog (and might invite comparative comments).

We were in good (and finally hungry) mood returning to the house when I suddenly caught movement from the left side of the road and realized that a dog was running full tilt into the road ahead of us.  I slammed on my brakes, but it was just inevitable that it happened and we collided.  The poor thing jumped up and ran off immediately which gave me some hope, but I had heard and felt the horrible crunch when we hit and I could not imagine he was uninjured.  A woman with a nearly identical dog was standing by the side of the road and she went after the one we hit yelling back for us to watch the other dog.

When we finally tracked her down she had managed to corral both dogs on a back porch of a house and she said, "Oh, he seems fine."  This being the same clueless woman who CALLED HER DOG to COME from across a busy street.  It was a miracle there wasn't a huge pile-up considering cars coming the opposite direction and about 7cars behind me all traveling at about 45 miles per hour.  I insisted she take the dog to the vet in case he had experienced any internal injuries.  We didn't exchange information - she was too frazzled, and I was too hesitant. I did note the house, however, and I may find myself stopping or leaving a note in the mailbox this week to see how the dog is doing.

After that, I switched from the diet pepsi I had been drinking all day (hence my driving instead of others to the barn) and had a stiff vodka tonic.  Hubby drove us home.


Anonymous said...

I hope the dog is okay - and that YOU recover reasonably well. It must be an awful feeling to know that you've collided with an animal, even if the logical part of your brain keeps telling you that it wasn't your fault, that there was nothing you could have done to avoid it. Let us know if you get further information, okay?

Mama Lou said...

So glad part of your day was good. I know you will follow up on this as that is the way you are.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

How scary for you. She's lucky you knew better than to swerve--things might have been a lot worse.