Thursday, May 6, 2010

Yet Another Freecycle Tale

What would you do if your husband brought home dozens (maybe hundreds) of old trays from his lodge? He brought them home to throw them out and I was horrified to see the waste...even though I was equally horrified to see the rusty dusty things come to my house.

So there they sat....and sat....and sat.

When I decided to attack some of the garage and sort out our summer furniture and offer up some unwanted items to Freecycle, I opened my previously mentioned armoire...and found the trays.

It's been over a year now that they've been stacked in this hidden spot with little or no thought put to what to do with them.

So, I took some photos and offered them up on Freecycle.

OFFER:  Metal Dining Trays, Suffern
My husband's lodge recently cleaned out and had dozens of food/cafeteria trays in various state of condition. Take all and **offer to others what you don't want. Mix of smaller silver finish (not real silver, silver color) and painted (red/orange with some decorative finishes). Hoping somone can save these from a landfill destiny.  Need 12-24 hour notice for pickup. Email me if interested.


I mean some of them were kind of interesting...see this one at left?  Others were just overpainted an ugly red finish.

But who took them?  A lovely woman that goes by the "handle" Wannapaint.  Wannapaint took all of my trays and figured out a really cool answer.  They are magnetic, being metal, even the overpainted ugly ones.  So she's going to paint them in interesting decorative ways and make great little magnetic boards.

How creative is that?  I love it.  She gets a project.  I get a cleaned out space. The trays get a new life outside the landfill.  And some lucky people (she's promising me one!) get some cute magnetic boards.

Reduce...Reuse...Recycle...Freecycle...it's awesome.

5 comments:

Remodelaholic said...

That is a great idea! I love it! I think they would be cool as some crazy wall feature too , if you could pull it off.

The Iselin Times said...

That is so cool! I want to buy one! :D

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

That rocks!

Anonymous said...

I loved this post, how awesome is Freecycle? I've lost count of how many needed things I've gotten for free there. Plus, all the unwanted things I've been able to pass along! Win-win, all the way.

A's Mom said...

I absolutely love freecycle.