Sunday, December 23, 2007

Attitude Adjustment

I am typically that really grouchy lady at the grocery store who rolls her eyes at slowpokes, gets irritated that the store has moved her needed item to the "special display" area that she cannot find, and is clearly angry when someone dares to take 12 items into the express lane.

But yesterday, I decided to go to the grocery store with a new attitude. I slowly cruised the parking lot, not worrying that I had to park 50 spots away from the door. I didn't even blink when I got the cart missing the lower rack and with the one wheel that keeps spinning around. I patiently waited for the little old man who stood in the middle of the produce aisle eating his free starbucks giveaway, and I leisurely strolled the aisles smiling at everyone and laughing over mishaps with carts and merging in the aisles. When I got to the front of the store, and saw the mob scene at the registers, I selected a nearby line without even trying to calculate which one might be the shortest, and did not even blink when the woman in front of me had to review at least 50 coupons before she was done. In fact, while in the line, someone passed me with a ton of items precariousy balanced in her arms and when she dropped one, I immediately stepped up to grab the item before she bent over and lost more. She was so grateful you would think I'd given her $100 for a shopping spree.

When I left the store, I reflected on why this trip to the store had taken longer than usual, and yet I wasn't impatient or irritated, or put in a foul mood. People around me had been much the same, but by adjusting my attitude, it was just a little more pleasant overall.

I thought about all the people I had smiled at in the store and wondered if they left with a little better attitude as well. I hope so. Whether it was any kind of little Christmas Spirit, or just a needed attitude adjustment, I'm going to try this in more aspects of my life.

4 comments:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

When you were "grouchy lady" you sound like I am most of the time. I'll try to be more like the new you instead of the old us. :)

AmyBow said...

What a great way to start the New Year. I am going to try to take a cue from you and relax, breathe in, and enjoy.

Unknown said...

I've tried this approach lately, too. One of the things I've adopted to help me with my attitude in the long lines is reading the magazines. I'm a People magazine junkie and reading the mag while I'm waiting saves me the $$ of actually purchasing it and occupies me entirely until it's my turn!

A's Mom said...

I think this is a great new years resolution to continue on throughout the year to come! The only thing the "grouchy lady" attitude will get you is a headache and maybe an early coronary.