Thursday, December 13, 2007

Orange You Glad We're Friends?

I have two very good friends (where I tend to be the glue) to keep us all together. I met them both when we lived in an apartment complex in Nyack NY. Ter was just starting a new business - her own floral design shop, specializing in dried floral arrangements and displays. Lula was, like me, in a corporate position and had been with her company for a long time. We were all married and the six of us made quite the crew.
As often happens, life takes turns, and we all moved to new locations. Ter and Lula divorced their husbands so the six of us were no more. But happily, the three of us remained the best of friends. Lula moved to greater Chicago area, and somehow Ter and I ended up in the same town of Suffern - almost walking distance from one another.

We've been through a lot together. Childbirth, marriage woes, divorce struggles, job stresses, family deaths, and all the myriad of joys and sorrows of life. I love these two women to death. While we no longer get to spend every weekend together, we try to see one another for a girl's weekend at least once a year, and we try to be there for one another for those important moments in life.


One of the quirks of our friendship is our greeting card habit. We all search high and low for those cards about friendship that actually have 3 girls on them. We buy two and send them to both of the other women with little notes of friendship, love, support, and humor. The picture below was inspired by one of those greeting cards. It had 3 young girls on the cover, each with an orange slice in their mouth, and the inside said, "Orange You Glad We're Friends?"
You can imagine the look on the bartender's face at Ter's wedding (hurrah for 2nd husbands!) when we asked for 3 wedges of oranges and then posed for this picture! Even though Lula looks a little purple (the price of laughing while not being able to breathe with a large orange slice in your airway!), it's one of our greatest memories.


So - the answer to the question? Damn straight. I'm wicked glad we're friends. Even if you will tease me for days about using the word wicked in that statement.

3 comments:

Mrs. G. said...

This is so sweet. You are lucky to have these ladies in your life. I don't know what I would do without my girlfriends. Oh yes I do...go insane.

Boogaloo Dude said...

Why won't my comment post???

Unknown said...

Glad you have great girlfriends. They make life so much sweeter, don't they?