Monday, October 1, 2007

On a Serious Note

M and I had dinner tonight. Over a fabulous tapas dinner we once again connected. This woman was the heart and soul of my middle childhood. We met in middle school and were the best of friends all through high school. We drifted in and out of each others lives in college and beyond. Reconnecting and then drifting apart again. Nothing came between us except normal life challenges and a few hundred miles of geography.

When she called recently to tell me her sister had been killed in an accident, I had no words.

I still have no words.

All I have is my love for her and my desire to ease her pain. I shared with her moments in my life when I experienced loss. But I cannot share something as profound as losing a baby sister. Our heads agreed that it is something that you get used to, but you never get over. Our hearts told us, getting used to it is unfathomable.

We shared a drink, a meal, a short walk, a drive among the Peachtrees, some wonderful laughs, a tear or two and when I returned to my hotel room I thanked God for the sisters I have been given - those two that have come to my life through blood, and the several others that I have found through friendship.

M - I cannot ever replace your baby sister, nor would I want to. But you have more sisters than you may know. I will always be one of them.

2 comments:

Mrs. Booms said...

Eloquent. It's so hard to know what to say to those you care about when they lose someone. I wish I had more friends like you :)

'chelle said...

Thanks so much, that night was just what I needed. I cherish our past memories and our friendship. Let's be sure not to drift away again!