Sunday, January 27, 2008

Understanding My Options

In a quest to be a little more aware of the political environment and my choices in the upcoming presidential election, I discovered a helpful tool. The Presidential Candidate Matching Quiz. It takes top issues, simplifies them into multiple choice position options, and then aligns them with the various candidates.

Not surprisingly, although I am not registered with any party affiliation,I come out strongly democractic. Also not surprising, there are only 3% points difference between the four running dems.

89% Barack Obama
86% Chris Dodd
86% John Edwards
86% Hillary Clinton
83% Bill Richardson
79% Joe Biden
74% Dennis Kucinich
72% Mike Gravel


51% Rudy Giuliani
44% John McCain
33% Mike Huckabee
33% Mitt Romney
27% Tom Tancredo
22% Fred Thompson
14% Ron Paul

2008 Presidential Candidate Matching Quiz

Thus, my quandry continues. And I'm not alone. The January 21st issue of Newsweek has a feature article on Hillary Clinton. One of the interesting points brought out in the article is after hoping for years for a viable minority or female candidate for president - we have both in one year. "Some women are nursing guilt over supporting Obama; some African-Americans worry they are doing the wrong thing by voting for Clinton."

So I am returning to the issues, trying to be educated in my choice, trying not to let emotion sway me, and trying not to get caught up in how "cool" it would be to have a black or a female president and be sure we get the RIGHT president.

But damn, it would be cool if the RIGHT president also turned out to be Hillary or Barack.

4 comments:

Nora said...

I agree with you! My quiz said I'm slightly more with Hillary, so I figure it's a win-win situation (in the HC v BO contest, I mean...)

Boogaloo Dude said...

Dude. Half of those people dropped out already.

A's Mom said...

Hubby came home with quiz too, but haven't had a chance to try it yet! That would be cool if we were able to find the "right" candidate for once.

Wenderina said...

Wanda: You caught me. I considered deleting the drop-outs, but figured it was worthwhile to leave the entire pack in for comparison. I should have know you would call me on it!