Saturday, September 22, 2007

Chip and Dale...A Buddy Story

{Setting a scene...bear with me....}

I think the last week's strange sleep habits are messing with our minds. We've both been working late and also had some insomnia - on top of that, my husband had to work all day Friday, and then return to work for a system upgrade at 11PM and work until 4AM, then he had bagel duty for his lodge (there will definitely be a future blog about the Grand Poobah and his lodge) so he was up at like 6:30 again to head out.

While he was out working last night, I was - well- you know- reading and posting blogs. Until about 2AM - sick sick sick. Amybow is right, there is an addiction starting here. At some point in our grogginess I was given the house chore of adding water to our pool to bring level up (no need to go into why level was down...just trust me). When I stumbled outside in my pjs and flip flops into the strange humid late September heat this morning to drop the hose into the pool I noted something odd on the side of the pool. Closer examination revealed a sopping wet and quite dead chipmunk.

Now, unfortunately, we are no longer surprised to find dead chipmunks in our pool. There seems to be a few suicidal ones each season. I judiciously decided to do what I usually do when discovering some horrible gruesome gross task. I ignored it and waited for my husband to return home.

Scene is now set.

Me: Hey, you're home...I'm glad.

Hubby: Yeah, I'm beat - I need a nap.

Me: You deserve one sweetie, but first...uh...I think there is something over on the side of the pool.

Hubby: Oh yeah, some kind of dead thing. I figured that might freak you out

Small note, he had not warned me or anything in advance!

Me: Yeah, well, I know you're in a suit and everything, but can you....???

Hubby: Yup.

No complaints, not even a sigh. He gathers requisite tools to dispose of wet rodent. As he hovers over it I see him shudder.

Hubby: Man this really grosses me out.

But he does it, good hubby. I am hovering inside the house speaking to him through the window cuz I'm a big grossed out chicken. SUDDENLY....

Hubby: Oh crap there's another one.

Me: Where???

Hubby: We've got a floater.

Grabs skimmer and gently starts to scoop.

Hubby: (talking to dead chippie) Hey, did you sacrifice yourself to save another? It's a buddy story.

Me: ??????

Hubby: I was wondering how the other one drowned but was OUT of the pool. Must be this one helped him out but died in the process..."Stay Alive, No Matter What Occurs..."

In case you don't recognize this it is quote from one of my fav movies Last of the Mohicans - Daniel Day Lewis was HOT in that movie.

Me: Giggle.

Moments later

Me: Giggle.

Hour later.

Me: Giggle.

This is what makes marriage work. Sleep-deprived humor.

1 comment:

That Chick Over There said...

My dad found a fox in his pool one day. He was SO upset. :(

Not as upset about the bats though.