Friday, September 28, 2007

Haircut Dilemma

I had a friend once say to me..."It's harder to find a new hair stylist than it is to find a new gynecologist." Hmmm. Well, I guess that's true. And really - a bad hairstyle can effect you and your mood much more (and for a longer duration) than a bad visit to the gynecologist.

In that mode, I've stuck with the same salon for probably 10 years now. I've been trying to get up the courage to do something new with my hair. You can see from the pictures on the right margin that over the last 8 months I've grown my hair much longer. But it is DRIVING ME CRAZY! How do you people with long hair stand this??? It takes FOREVER to dry (hence my hair dryer fritz the other morning). Plus, I think I may be one of those people who doesn't have the right shape head to prettily sweep hair up in a clip and go. Ponytails and clip-ups always have a Pippi-Long Stocking-esque look on me. Kind of pieces sticking out at 90 degree angles from my head. Last, but not least, I have that so attractive nape of the neck hairline that goes almost down to the base...making me feel like I haven't really evolved that far from the gorilla clan.

So here is my dilemma. What to do on my next return to the salon. Go for a totally new style? Keep growing and see what happens? Try a new color completely (red? brunette?) My hair is naturally a brownish-blonde (I think) under about 7 years of highlighting.

Here were some suggestions from friends.

1. Go back to a previous short style I had, and darken up the color.
(Don't judge me by the dorky pose - this was for a promotion press release)






2. Keep it longer, but layer it and go for a funky flip. Maybe change to a strawberry blondish color.







3. This is too blonde for me (I think?) and essentially just a neatened up style to what I'm wearing now.






4. Go darker and short layers...







I need help! Please vote, respond, something.

Signed -
40 and bored with my look.

3 comments:

That Chick Over There said...

I like the 2nd cut the best.

Mrs. Booms said...

I like the second cut and color the best. With your coloring the strawberry blonde (my natural color, I think) would look fantastic on you... Take it from me, I went to hair school. My only warning to you is I get sick of the layer really fast when I cut mine similar to that. I find with layers like that, when I'm in a hurry in the mornings it just too easy to pull into a pony tail rather than style... Headbands become my best friend.

NEVER AGAIN said...

I can't tell your coloring from the pictures, so I can't guess on the color, but I think the 2nd cut is the best...the shorter hair ages you (my dad told me when i was 30.."cut your hair, it will make you look younger"...I tried it...I went from looking 22 to looking 32...needless to say I haven't had short hair since...I'm 40 and most people guess me at 30-32 with my current shoulder length). try going darker and see what happens...i did that and my hair is so much healthier and softer, hi-liting is so hard on your hair.