Monday, November 12, 2007

Have You Thanked a Veteran Today?

While I don't have the day off, I recognize Veteran's Day as an important holiday. Also known as a day of remembrance...this is a day for reflecting on the service that so many men and women give to our country.

My Dad was a veteran of WWII and although he was stateside his entire duty, when he VOLUNTEERED he never made that assumption. He could have just as easily been sent to the front lines.
On a recent visit, my sister Jude passed along the flag that adorned his coffin. It is in a display case in my dining room. Today I paused in front of it and said a quiet thank you. To my Dad, to my nephew (currently in the service, having served in Bosnia and Iraq), to all those countless men and women who have stood on the line, so that liberals like me can live in a country that allows us to protest against it.
Thank You All.

3 comments:

terry said...

Dear Wendy,
I love reading your anxious moments. Did you purchase "listening is an act of love" for yourself? As you know, I am always one shopping step ahead of you if you catch my hint without giving away any xmas secrets?

Jude said...

How funny you should post apicture of Dad! we must be sisters...read my blog!

Sheila & Tony said...

Wonderful post and so true. Thanks to all who serve to protect our country. My father was also on the front lines, and I'm always struck by the photos of this gentle man, Dad, holding those heavily loaded weapons.